Owning a home may be your dream, but in order for the purchase to be the happy and satisfying experience it was meant to be, you need to ensure that you are financially and mentally prepared for the responsibilities that come with it. 4JRE agents take homeownership seriously, as it is one of the biggest investments you will make in your lifetime. We want you to invest wisely.
Ask yourself the following questions:
Are you ready to buy?
Owning a home is more than just decorating it any way you’d like; there’s also a financial component and time commitment. Yes, you can fix it up to your liking, but you’ll also have to fix things if they break or fall apart. All of those home-maintenance issues will now be on you to complete. Having realistic expectations about what you can afford and what kind of time you can commit to maintenance will help you decide on the right property type for you.
How much can you afford?
Unfortunately, the harsh reality for many buyers is that the home they’re dreaming of may not be in their budget. But we will help you find your dream home that meets all your needs while staying within your budget. We call it the Money First Method (MFM). Most homebuyers start by searching for homes online, only having a small idea of what they think they can afford. Then they’ll see a home they really, really like and will get a realtor to show them the property without fully understanding if they can afford the home or not. And many are devastated to find out they can’t afford it.
We won’t let you have that heartache. Before we show you any homes, you will meet with a mortgage lender, who will go over your financials with you. They will qualify you for a mortgage based on your salary and financial history. You’ll be pre-approved to look at homes in a certain price range.
The Magic Combination
That’s what makes 4JRE different: We take your dream of homeownership and show you what you can realistically afford. You will only see pre-approved homes within your budget. We don’t want any problems down the road when you realize you can’t afford the home you purchased on your current salary. We don’t want you to stretch. We want you right in line with what you can afford; therefore, you’ll be looking at specific, targeted properties so you end up with an affordable dream home you love.
What is your debt-to-income ratio?
Your overall debt should not be more than 40% of your income, and your housing debt should not be more than 32%. Your mortgage lender will go over all the particulars when he or she meets with you to get you pre-approved.
What do you want?
Having a clear idea of what you’d like in a home and where you’d like to live helps to narrow down the search. We have a process that will help you define your preferences so we can show you properties that meet your criteria.
Are you ready now?
If you know you want to own your own home, go ahead and start searching. It's Fun!
Maryland Homes For Sale Virginia Homes For Sale DC Homes For Sale
We Can Help You Save Time, Money and Hassles!
- You need a good agent who will work hard for you. Our real estate team is dedicated to helping you find the right home at the best price. We want you to find the home that will make you happy and successful in real estate ownership.
- When you hire us to help you buy your first property, you’ll discuss with us your desires for a home and how much you can afford. We'll find a way to merge these two priorities and find a residence you'll enjoy owning.
- Keep your objectives in mind when visiting a home. Sometimes the idea of owning a home can overwhelm your practical sense, so keep your emotions in check. Keep a list of the pros and cons of each property you visit. When you're alone with your agent, you can go over the pros and cons of each home. Your 4JRE agent will help you stay on track while keeping their eyes out for a great property for you to purchase.
- Engage in the services of a good real estate lawyer/title company. We can recommend several vendors in the area that would be a good fit for you. Interview them to ensure that you get someone you can trust. The legalities of transferring land ownership can be dodgy, and someone in your corner can be your best defense against future legal troubles.
- Make the offer. This can be a maze of "contingencies," "amendments," and "financing," lingo. We'll be happy to prepare the paperwork and go through it with you before submitting it. Remember, the seller may reject or counter your offer, so even at this late date, avoid setting your heart on the home you hope to own. Once the offer is accepted, you’ll need to have the earnest money available for deposit.
- Get all necessary inspections done. A home inspector will check for signs of harmful materials like asbestos, lead paint, and mold. They'll also check for evidence of pests, faulty wiring, and leaks. This is a crucial part of the home purchase. Not getting an inspection done means that you could be stuck in a home with a bad case of black mold and no recourse other than to pay for its removal. Inspections will cost a few hundred dollars, but, once again, this is worth it in the end. There are several inspectors in the area that we'd be happy to recommend.
- Do a final walkthrough before closing the deal. Your 4JRE agent will walk with you through the home before you close to make sure that everything agreed upon is completed prior to the final signing.
Hire the RIGHT Real Estate Agent
Hiring a 4JRE agent means you can relax during the complicated process of buying a home. From our initial meeting until we hand over the keys, we have your best interests at heart. We are about convenience, service and savings.
Need more reassurance? Let’s meet for coffee and talk.